Roles and responsibilities | Process flow
|Research Office (RO)
- Facilitates the process when a call is made by the NRF, i.e. Tier 1 or Tier 2.
- Circulates call to Deans.
- Support the applicant in the preparation of the proposal.
- Submits applications to NRF. Phase 1 (initial call) and Phase 2 (successful candidate).
- Facilitates approval of nominated chair by NRF (post UCT selection process).
- Facilitates the negotiation of the budget.
- Advise on the NRF outcome of the application.
- Sends official accepted award letter to CRF.
- Facilitates the review of Chairs at the appropriate stage.
- Annual Progress Reports submitted to the NRF.
Note: The level UCT decides on needs to be aligned with that recommended by the NRF. The NRF decision will take precedence and require a candidate to be an Associate professor (or above) for Tier 2 and full professor for Tier 1 level.
- Receives call from the Research Office to identify potential applicants.
- Determines alignment with Faculty interests.
- In discussion with HOD’s, decides on appropriate mechanism to attract applicants.
- Consideration given to the funding, replacement staff, physical space to accommodate the staff member and students and/or laboratory space, and possible future inclusion of post in Faculty staffing GOB budget.
- Chairs the selection committee and decides composition.
- Advises the successful candidate of the UCT selection outcome.
- Build in shortfall on salary in to GOB or negotiate with staff member to partially raise funds
|Human Resources (HR) Department
- HR Practitioner (HRP) advises on the recruitment process to be followed. Either open/external recruitment process or Appointment Without Advert.
- HRP facilitates the commencement of the recruitment process of the Chair.
- Assists HOD to complete relevant documentation.
- HRP circulates motivation to the relevant staff body for information if Appointment Without Advert.
- Staff Recruitment Office facilitates the recruitment process and obtains approval from the delegated authority. Holds documents until NRF approval obtained.
- Appointments Office prepares letter of appointment. The Dean to approve the letter of appointment prior to sending to candidate. Copy RO in letter.
|Central Research Finance (CRF)
- Open a fund as soon as the grant is approved and signed by staff member.
- Load the approved budget.
- Sign off on all HR appointment/payment forms.
- Submit status report to Dean and Finance Manager every second month.
- Administer, monitor and advise on compliance (UCT & NRF)
|Vice-Chancellor (VC) / Deputy Vice-Chancellor (DVC)
- VC approves selection committee's recommendation for professorial appointments.
- DVC approves the selection committee's recommendation for Associate Professors.
- DVC responsible for SARChI Chairs serves on selection committee.
- VC approves motivation to appoint without advert (when applicable).
- Appointment With Advertisement:
Receives applications, checks referees, interviews candidates/s and makes recommendation.
- Appointment Without Advertisement:
Considers the motivation, checks referees, interviews candidate and makes recommendation.
View the South African Research Chairs (SARChI) appointment process (PDF).
Page last updated: 20 March 2018