Diagram A: UCT development funding model
Diagram B: UCT development funding flow chart
Explanation of the UCT development funding model
1.1 Personal learning and development
Personal development funded in one of two ways:
1.2 Developmental learning and development
Developmental learning and development is funded in one of four ways:
- For the employees own account; or
- Supported through the Staff Education Bursary Scheme in the case of PASS staff undertaking formal development through an institution other than UCT/UWC. Is fully funded by Human Resources Development from a grant awarded by the Staff Development Committee (SDC) from Skills Development Levy Mandatory Refunds. Staff Education Bursary Scheme policy applies; or
- Supported through the UCT Staff PhD Bursary Scheme in the case of any UCT staff member undertaking PhD studies through UCT. This is competitive and run through the Postgraduate Centre and Funding Office. UCT Staff PhD Bursary Scheme policy applies; or
- Staff tuition rates apply should the employee pursue formal development through UCT / UWC. Staff tuition rate policy and reimbursements policy apply.
1.3 Position-related learning and development
Position-related learning and development is funded in one of two ways:
- Funding of formal development from departmental / faculty budgets and at line managers discretion, where the formal development is an explicit requirement for the position. This would also include all instances where the department / faculty pays the staff tuition rate on behalf of the employee where the formal development is an explicit requirement of the position. Funding formal development policy and reimbursement policy apply; or
- Funding of non formal development from departmental / faculty budgets and at line managers discretion. May be available internally through UCT Centres of Learning (Staff Learning Centre, ICTS, CHED, Research Office, Safety, Health and Environment) or other internal programmes, in which case no or minimal cost applies (many funded wholly or partly through grants awarded by the Staff Development Committee (SDC) from Skills Development Levy Mandatory Refunds). Funding expensive non formal development policy applies.
Page last updated: 26 January 2018